Linked Events

• Highlander Cycle Tour, NewYork: September 12, 2008 - September 13, 2008

Author Topic: Highlander Cycle Tour, Canadaigua, New York - Sept 12 & 13, 2008  (Read 23080 times)

Paul Mang

• MBRC Member
About a 3 hours drive from Toronto in the finger lake region of New York State.  Start and end at Bristol Mountain Ski Area.  Friday, Sept 12, 2008 is a 5 mile time trail with a 800 ft climb during the last mile.   On Saturday, Sept 13, 2008 you can do up to a 100 mile ride with 20 hills with a total of over 11,000 vertical feet of climbing, 8 climbs of 1-2 miles with grades from 9-23%! :o   It is one tough ride, will take 7-8 hours.

http://www.highlandercycletour.com/

:o
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 10:29:36 AM by Paul Mang »

Alex Pond
  • MBRC Member
Re: Highlander Cycle Tour, Canadaigua, New York - Sept 12 & 13, 2008
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 09:50:22 AM »
I've taken a look at that one and would be interested in going.  I signed up for the 6 Gap Century in Dehlonga Georgia last September because I was working in the area at the time.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it as my assignment ended earlier than expected.  6 GAP (100 miles) and 3 GAP (50 miles) have the same start and go over some of the Tour de Georgia mtns.  That one is the last weekend of September.  Registration is already open.

Alex

PS still working on the denominator portion of the strength/weight ratio.

Paul Mang

• MBRC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 08:08:45 PM »
I did the Highlander last year, my first time.  It was my toughest day on a bike so far.  I thought the Ride for Karen was tough, but the Highlander is orders of magnitude tougher.  I think Ride for Karen has at most 2,500 feet of climbing vs. over 11,000 ft for the Highlander.  I suspect only two hills on the Ride for Karen route would note a small mention as short but steep hills on the Highlander route cue sheet (the Nashville Rd hill and the one before going down to the Holland Marsh). 

On my second Ride for Karen ride I manage a 5 hrs 20min time, I took just over 8 hrs on the Highlander.  Since it was my first time on the Highlander and I didn't know what to expect I took it easy and I was not exhausted at the end of the ride.  I could have pushed harder and will this year.  I will try to do the ride in 7 hrs or less this year.  I will have a much better bike this year and I only started to ride seriously last year, so I should do much better (in theory anyways).

I knew I was in a tough ride when early in the ride on a what seems like a hill that go on forever, I ask a fellow rider was this one of the so call monster hill?  No, he said, this was just Miller Hill, which on the cue card rated as a long hill only.  There are three monster hills on the Highlander Century, Bopple (23% section!), Gannett Hill (15%) and Sliter Rd Hill.  It will take most cyclist around 15-20 minutes going up these hills and most people were doing switch backs up the road!  The last monster hill, Sliter Rd many take people by surprise.  It's a slight left turn off from a flat valley road and if you don't keep your speed up as you turn onto the hill you lose to much momentum making it that much harder.  As I was about 100 ft up on this last monster hill, I heard some one shouting obscenities behind me about where the hell did this hill come from.  I guess he was surprised by the hill.

I only saw one person walking up any of the hills.  What I wanted to do was to rip my helmet off as I was getting very hot under my helmet going up these hills.  Since it was a cold, damp chilly day and I was only wearing a silk under shirt under my jersey with arms and leg warmers and I was shivering and teeth chattering at time on the downhills.

This is a tough ride but, I will go back this year to do it again.  Can we get a bunch of people to go down to do it?  There were a bunch of people from the St. Catherine Cycling club there.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 10:03:22 PM by Paul Mang »

Paul Mang

• MBRC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 10:04:17 PM »
The Highlander is two weeks away.

Alex Pond
  • MBRC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 03:57:25 PM »
Weather permitting I will go for the Century, but not the time trial (I'll register at the start).  At this point, the wife and kids have agreed to come.  We are planning on driving down Friday night and staying at the Hampton Inn in Victor.  It's about 20 km from the start.

Alex

Paul Mang

• MBRC Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »
If you are thinking about doing the Time Trial on Friday, it is free if you register for a ride.  But there's a deadline of registering by Tuesday Sept 9 midnight to be able to do the Time Trial ( I think they need to order the chips for the timing).  The Time Trial is up Gannett Hill which has a 15% grade.  Think Bell School Road hill, but a lot longer!  I would think the steeppest part of Bell is only about 100 feet in vertical (maybe 150 max)?  Gannett steepest part is about 600-700 feet of vertical.  Don't be fooled when the grade ease up near the top, there's still a bit to go before the finish of the Time Trial.

Also, if you leave registering too late, you won't see your last name painted on Bopple Hill Rd (23%) like they do on the Tour.

For people undecided about doing the Highlander, if you find the Ride for Karen not too difficult, then go for it.  It will be painful and you will endure a lot of suffering on the hills, but is that what cycling is all about, pain and suffering?

As they say in the Nike ads, Just Do It!

Paul Mang

• MBRC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 01:23:23 PM »
Alex, take a look at these two articles on NYTimes.com website.  The first one is about food in the area and the second is about a place the Highlander goes right by or very close to.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/08/22/travel/escapes/22nyfood.html

http://travel.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/travel/01explorer.html?scp=1&sq=canandaigua&st=cse

Another place to see is Letchworth State Park, its a mini grand canyon. http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=12

Further away is Corning Glass Museum in Corning and Watkins Glen State Park.

Alex Pond
  • MBRC Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 08:50:40 PM »
Thanks for all the info Paul, I have an article on Letchworth and was planning on visiting.  The Park near Victor also looks interesting.  As for the food, as long as there is lots of it, all will be good.

Alex

PS  The Zuck is fitted with a compact with a 25 on the back.

Paul Mang

• MBRC Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 03:34:38 PM »
Here's the link for the NOAA weather page for the area.  So far, they calling for 60% rain on Saturday, the day of the ride.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=South+Bristol&state=NY&site=BUF&textField1=42.7297&textField2=-77.3994&e=0&unit=1

Hey, Alex are you still going?

Alex Pond
  • MBRC Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 11:20:42 PM »
I'll make the call Friday at noon.  If it is raining to the south then Bancroft might be drier and vice versa.