Linked Events

• Highlander Cycle Tour, NY: September 11, 2009 - September 12, 2009

Author Topic: Highlander Cycle Tour, Bristol NY Sept 11 & 12, 2009  (Read 9925 times)

Paul Mang

• MBRC Member
Highlander Cycle Tour, Bristol NY Sept 11 & 12, 2009
« on: March 29, 2009, 11:40:30 AM »
This charity century ride is one tough ride!  The monster hills (up to 23% grade) will test your mettle.  I measured only about 10,000 ft of vertical during last year ride, they bill it as 11,000 ft.  I think the vertical of Ride for Karen is about 3,000 ft or so.  This year it seems they will have a new route, I'm sure it will be as tough or tougher than the past years.  The time trial on Friday goes up Gannett hill (I believed it is named for the Gannett newspaper family), think of it as Bell School Rd hill that keeps going and going.

The only problem it is the same weekend as Ride for Karen ride.  I may go down for the Highlander on Friday, do the time trial on Friday afternoon, then the century ride on Saturday morning, drive back  to Toronto after the ride and do the Ride for Karen on Sunday.  One though weekend!  Usually the Ride for Karen is the week before the Highlander so I use the Ride for Karen as a training ride for the Highlander.

I got an email from the organizer of the Highlander Cycle Tour and I pasted it below:

The 10th Anniversary Highlander Cycle Tour is September 11 and 12, 2009.

Anyone who?s ever ridden the Highlander Cycle Tour can attest to the fact that the rider is often surprised at what they find offered up each year. For its 10th anniversary, the HCT announces it will visit some new, exciting and intense terrain in the Bristol Highlands. For the first time in its history, the Highlander will summit mountain passes such as Groveland, Sliker Hill, Niver, Coyken Dal and Burch Hill. The Tour will visit new Towns such as Springwater, Scottsburgh, and Groveland Station. But lest ye Highlander fans despair, the Tour will remain true to its core and tackle many of the hallmark climbs of the first decade. Fabled climbs such as Le Grand Egypt, Mont. Ste. Millers, the now legendary steeps (23% grade) of Le Alpe de Bopple and the incomparable Col de Gannett, have all become Highlander staples.

HCT X will again feature its individual mountain prologue time trial on Friday evening, September 11th. Featuring the infamous 2 mile ascent up Gannett Hill, the punishing 15-18% grades will test your pride. Come and see if our adopted son Cheyne Hoag from nearby Dansville will capture his 6th crown in a row. Cheyne owns the course record (19:25) and has won the ITT every year it has been held. No one has been able to challenge him yet.
Also new this year, the Highlander announces the addition of the 2 person Team Time Trial. The 22 mile TTT will also run Friday afternoon, finishing on the same Col de Gannett summit as the ITT. The new event stays true to Highlander legacy and will throw some impressive challenges and surprises at the teams. The Highlander also announces that the winners of the TTT will be vying for significant prizes in one of three categories, M-M, F-F, and M-F.

Special congratulations go to the 725 riders in 2008, for helping us raise $20K for the 4th year in a row to benefit the many charities the Highlander supports, including Mercy Flight Central, Lance Armstrong Foundation, Rochester XC Ski Foundation, Bloomfield Rotary, Crescent Trail, Camp Cutler (Boy Scouts) and Camp Piperwood (Girl Scouts), Naples Youth, and the South Bristol Historical Society.

http://highlandercycletour.com/index.htm